Monday, July 27, 2009

HOPE is made to be shared………Thoreau

My memories of him are from the age when I was three. Never have I seen or met any person so patient and content with life. He inspires me in my parenting skills, of what I can still remember, he was a very good husband, good father and the best part was he was a good human being.

He came from a fairly big family they were 7 brothers and sisters. His dad was a headmaster at school in a small village of ANKOLA. He did his schooling there and college at Hubli. The stories that I remember he told us of his childhood were amazing. We used to look forward to listen to the actual experiences…some of the memories were…he had a cow named ‘gori’ that he used to ride on to school….he had a parrot that used to wake him up in the morning and a squirrel that he used to hide in his shirt and take him to school. Being the eldest son of the family he made his share of sacrifices, his dream of getting into engineering never materialized. Still he was a content and happy person! He worked for 33 yrs at a company in the small town of Shahabad. He started there as a charge hand and went on to become a senior engineer when he retired. There were so many offer’s that he got to move on out of the small town but somehow nothing clicked. One such offer was from Saudi and that was when he was truly in need of money but his parents were getting old and were living with him and they said no to it and he agreed…till date I have no idea why he agreed…..maybe someday when I am a little older I might understand his views better. As a kid I never ever remember him reprimanding us. He had his own style of letting us know that what we did was not correct…..maybe one of the reasons why we were very open with him and talked about everything and discussed every bit with him. I remember when I was 16 , I met my now husband satish….I just walked up to him and said…that I have chosen my life partner…he was so cool about it…the only thing he told me was’ if at 16 you think u can choose Your life partner than I am sure Your matured enough to know what to do if the relation does not work. And that he will always be there for me! He gave me HOPE…..

He has been the biggest influence in my life and has helped me with his views ……there were so many things that he wanted to achieve in life …which he couldn’t, but never ever did I see a sad face….or a sad soul…..whenever I think of him I remember his smiling face …. he was my hope……and still is. To a great extent I have achieved all that he dreamed of …how I wish he was here today with me to share my happiness. I Still feel that I need to smile more and be content and be a better human being.

He left us in the year 1996 at the age of 63…….when it was time for him to sit back and relax. I keep thinking there aren’t a lot of people of this kind. Maybe GOD wanted him to be some other place to bring up better human beings.… When I saw him after he had passed away…he still had a smile and contentment that reflected of his face………..I dedicate this blog in his loving memory, on his 13th death anniversary.

DAD I love you ….you have been my inspiration and my strength … I miss you……you taught me HOPE!!

3 comments:

  1. May I add my two bits on this.

    As a child he was very resourceful, curious, inventive and hardworking. Any mechanical thing and his eyes would perk up. He would immediately want to know how it worked and would not be satisfied till he opened that contraption and put it back together.

    At a young age he mastered using the sewing machine. Not only could he stitch well, he could soon repair any sewing machine in town. And so the days passed and years rolled by till he came across a radio and our man was all over it. Soon he mastered the radio. He could assemble one and repair any.

    Obstacles and troubles were normal only to be flicked aside with a smile.

    After school, it was time on the farm. Organic farming was a way of life than the fad it is today. There were more cows and they were "Tambi" and "Chandri". Surplus vegetables were sold for a few extra "damdis".

    As a young lad, in those hot climes, my idea of an evening well spent was a long ride on his "Raleigh" (or was it Atlas) bicycle and I would urge him to ride very fast as I clung to him tightly.

    They were complete, self sufficient and content with their lot. No wonder some of them went through their life with a smile. A pity that in the end rest on this planet was not meant to be. They were destined for a deeper, longer eternal rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was so touching. I see many parallels with my dad's life and uncle's and believe strongly that their generation was something else- humble, hardworking, content, happy. Beautiful post, shubhi. keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shubbhi, The post is touching. Recognizing the values of elders - remembering them and loving them is so necessary. Even though they are not around - there is always that feeling that "THEY" are watching us. Right?

    ReplyDelete